Wednesday, April 10, 2013

ANYONE NEED CEMENT SHOES?



I am so going to get fired.

Today one of the major pieces of construction equipment being used for the mega-project outside my classroom broke down.  It took the guy three hours to get it running again.  It was so quiet that I thought I might be teaching in a vacuum.  

So the kids and I started talking about how cool it would be if there were a little accident outside, like someone getting stuck in the cement, just to spice things up a bit.  And then we started talking about horror movies where bodies end up in cement.  I told them about a movie I once saw about a group of old people being thrown out of their condemned apartment building and the ways they went about disposing of the people who kept trying to toss them into the street, or worse, into nursing homes.  One of the ways was putting the bodies in cement.

Then I said, "That's the kind of old person I'm going to be." 

In unison they all gasped and said, "A murderer?"

I thought about it for maybe a tenth of a second then replied, "If that's what it takes…"

I meant I would fight to stay in my home by any means available.  But they went right to the dark place, which is why I love them all so much, and I went right there after them.

I expect the police and the psychiatrists tomorrow.  Watch for me.  I'm sure it'll make the news.

 
PS -- Here's the movie; it's a keeper called Homebodies