Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' LIST



Argh.

I hate when I forget my shopping list at home, and I hate it even more when I'm at an unfamiliar grocery store.  Since I don't have my long shopping list, I'll opt for the few necessities that I truly need immediately.

Today I truly need just a few items -- chicken, dressing, oleo, and chocolate chips.  The first two items are to complete a recipe for a pasta dish I'm making for a lacrosse dinner.  The second items are in case I decide I'll make cookies for the dinner, too.

The good thing about forgetting my list, though, is that I don't feel the need to go to the big grocery store, the well-stocked one that's out of the way and a huge traffic nightmare.  Instead I can go to the small store down the street from my house.

I get the chicken and the dressing.  Somehow on my way to get the oleo, I end up with a tiny container of frosted brownies, four little brownies in all.  What the … this is not what I need.  I need … I need … chocolate.  Damnit.  In the basket they go.

I am so distracted by the mini-brownies that I almost forget the chocolate chips.  Well, why not?  I mean, I already forgot the list.  Twice.  That's right, I said it, I forgot the damn list twice today.  My master list sits on my kitchen table; my re-worked, shorter list sits on my desk at work.  Hey, don't judge me.  I'm dancing as fast as I can.  After a few turns up and down the aisles, I make my way to the register and out the door.

I make the pasta dish and get it all ready for tomorrow night's travel to the game.  I decide not to make the cookies, but I do decide to eat some of the brownies.  Apparently cutting them into even smaller chunks is supposed to make them less dangerous.  Ask my expanding, fat ass tomorrow how dangerous the brownies turn out to be.

All in all, it isn't a terrible shopping trip.  I don't go too far off my original list, stay close to my edited list, remember most of the critical items, and I don't eat all of the brownies when I get home.  At least, not the moment I get home.  Oh heck, who am I kidding?  I've already eaten most of them.   

I've really gotta stick to my list.