Friday, April 19, 2013

SIDE TRIP TO SALEM



I have to go to the university today, this time for me.  I have to check up on my progress for my second Master's degree.  Oh, that sounds all hoity-toity, I know, but really I am now going to be stuck with two semi-useless degrees.  I have an M.Ed. and am dangerously close to earning an M.A. in English with a concentration on writing.  What that translates into in regular talk is that I can now teach. 

 Wait.  I'm already teaching.

Well, I guess now I can teach even more!  And still get paid what I get paid, and be even more in debt than I was when I started.

Whose dumbass idea was this, anyway?

The good news is that I only have to take two more real courses (one this summer and one in the fall), and then I have two semesters to write up my capstone project.  Now, if I wanted to be a total bitch, which I truly am so this is no surprise, I could simply print out and re-torque my blog and turn it in as my thesis. 

But that seems too easy.  Sure I spend anywhere from one to four hours a day writing and prepping and posting the blog.  But it almost seems like cheating.  Almost.  Except that I'm really writing it, and it really does take up a lot of my time.  Time I'm supposed to be spending correcting papers for my day job and writing papers for the degree I haven't quite finished yet.

So I'm meeting with the advisor today, figuring this all out, thinking I have four more courses to take before my capstone project, not two, and I decide to hang around for about fifteen more minutes so that my new plan of study can be formally emailed to the grad office, and I can trek on over by foot to sign it.  Why not?  I'm here, and I'm really not in that big a hurry to get back home.  It's a beautiful day, I snuck down to the waterfront for a few minutes, and I got some pictures of the ocean.  I sit in my car for a short bit looking at those.  Okay, might as well try to beat some of the traffic home. 

As I pull out of the parking lot, I debate which way home might be more clogged with traffic -- Salem center or Peabody Square.  This time of day and this time of year, it's really a crapshoot.  I decide to head down 114 into Salem.  As soon as I pass the point of no return, that infamous turn from Loring onto Lafayette, I see that traffic is at a standstill. 

Damn.  Picked the wrong way yet again.

But I am mistaken.  The reason for the delay is the massive accident in the middle of the street, an accident  that cannot be more than fifteen minutes old, an accident involving at least three cars, an accident in which a car has clearly been t-boned, shattered and battered across two lanes of traffic and smashed into a tree in front of a corner-lot house. Ambulances and fire trucks and tow trucks are everywhere, and the sidewalks on all sides are packed with witnesses and gawkers.

 Just happened.  Just loading victims onto gurneys.  Fifteen minutes.

Had I not decided to stay and sign my paperwork, had I not dawdled in the parking lot looking at my random Salem shoreline pictures, had I not stopped to let the woman walk in front of my car, the kid to cross the road, the college student to catch his runaway soccer ball, I might well have been involved in this accident.

Damn.  I feel lucky.  I feel philosophical.  I feel a bit sick to my stomach eye-ing the carnage.

Today isn't a total waste.  I'm gaining knowledge (more than halfway through the degree) and wisdom (rationalizing my trip home).  It's a two-fer.  If only I could figure out how to turn this all into a payable degree, like a Master's degree in Work Avoidance as it Pertains to the Probablility of Getting Out of Salem Without Too Much Damage; or an advanced degree in Lucky Dumassitis; or another diploma in Bullshitting 101.

Maybe this whole school thing is paying off after all.

Nah.