Sunday, April 14, 2013

WATCH FOR THE WHITE FLAG



I am going to attempt a medium-long ride by myself today. 

I've done stuff like this before: Drive to Rhode Island, Maine, etc.  I've driven long distances while the people with me where asleep so it seems like I'm driving alone (Miami, Delaware…), and I've driven long distances where I wish the people with me actually were asleep (Virginia, Toronto…).  But I don't usually drive alone because I'm a terrible night-driver. 

Even as I type that, I balk considering the longest distances I have driven have been in the dark.  Coming back from Florida, I drove my friend's Fiesta, a stick, while she and her hubby snoozed in the front and back seats.  I'd never driven a stick before, but I knew the mechanics of it.  I'd had a friend with a Datsun 280z, and my parents had a VW microbus for a short while.  Our ride-on mower had a stick, but I was so small that I could only get it out of first without falling off the seat.  Besides, first gear is the hardest because you have to feel for the clutch release.  I was fine with the Fiesta until I accidentally turned onto the Garden State Parkway instead of the NJ turnpike.  Let me assure you, by the time I finished stopping for a toll every two miles, I KNEW how to drive a standard.

I'm planning on driving to Albany, NY for a lacrosse game.  It should be an easy day trip straight out I-90 and then a few turns here and there.  The sports complex appears to be off a main drag, and I've even discovered a couple of gas stations and restaurants in the area.  I was fine and pumped until the game-time moved back.  Apparently girls' softball trumps boys' lacrosse (I really don't know on what planet … sorry, Katie…), and softball gets the early time.  The lacrosse game is now at 5:00 p.m.
Dang. 

So now instead of arriving home when it gets dark, I'll be leaving Albany in the dark.  My eyes are tired just thinking about it.  Hopefully, I-90 has those honking big halogen lights to give it the illusion of daytime.  That would be helpful.  But just in case, I've decided to pack myself a lot of junk food.  That's right, I said it: JUNK FOOD.  Cola, root beer, lemonade, Cheezits, cookies, and other non-essentials.  Oh, I'll also pack waters and some sandwiches.  I'll probably arrive back home with none of it eaten nor opened.  But I'll have it with me, and that's all that matters.  Instead of bringing along a friend, I'm bringing along my Comfort Cooler.

Ahhhhh.  I feel better already.

I'll let you know if I make it there and back.  You see, there's a secondary story to this misadventure, but I do so hate to ruin a good surprise.  And the way my life is going lately, this is a typical "surprise."  Have fun, kids.  My GPS (which is set to Scottish comedian Billy Connolly, just to keep things interesting) and I will be lost in the Hudson Valley somewhere.  We'll wave from the breakdown lane, but if it's a white flag, please send a search party.

Ciao.