Saturday, December 22, 2012

WHEN IN DOUBT, PASS



The best laid plans often run awry through no fault of our own.  I decide after three days of teaching O. Henry that the kids clearly are not mentally ready to make the inferences and leaps necessary.  I was at their age; I was also reading Saki and Ring Lardner and Shirley Jackson (and Hawthorne, Faulkner, Twain, Shakespeare, Thurber…).  Not many 'tweens are ready to digest written sarcasm, but I had been raised in a house where Monty Python's Flying Circus and Jean Shepherd's America were required weekly viewing.  Reading satire was not a stretch for me

Early in the week we read "After Twenty Years," and most of the students fail to make the connection that two characters, young friend Jimmy Wells and older patrolman Jimmy Wells, are the same person albeit twenty years different in age.  I thought for sure the identical name would be a dead giveaway, but you know what they say happens when we assume.  The class encounters a similar problem watching the abbreviated video "Jimmy Valentine," an exact reenactment of the short story "A Retrieved Reformation" in which a notorious safe cracker who is avoiding another stint in prison must decide whether to stay hidden behind an alias as a reformed man or blow his cover and rescue a child locked in a bank vault. 

After discussions and worksheets and questions and journal entries, Friday is the day we are supposed to finish graphing the story.  From the few graphs that have already been completed, I see that I need to re-teach what "fully engaged in the conflict" means, and I'm quite certain that whatever I go over today will not stick inside their cherubic brains through vacation until January 3rd.  
 
I need a new game plan -- I huddle and hike.

I have several versions of winter word searches, winter crosswords puzzles, and winter color-by-number.  Yes, you read that right - color by number.  Along with those activities, I have an old video of The Muppet Christmas Carol.  Perfect!  We just finished Gaines' play version of the Dickens holiday classic.  I turn off half the lights and throw in the video only to discover that older videotapes do not work properly on newer VCRs.  

No problem -- I'll make a lateral pass.

I have the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol on DVD.  I put the disk into the slot and hit play.  It's very dark, and I have to turn off the remainder of the lights, which is going to be a problem for me as it's rainy and dark outside, and I need to correct papers.  After about fifteen minutes, I realize the sound quality of the DVD (or the machine) makes listening to the movie while chatting quietly about the word searches an impossible task.  I turn the lights back on and say, "Don't worry, I have a back-up to my back-up plan."

Last chance -- I'm going for the Hail Mary throw downfield.

A brief Google search quickly yields me what I need:  Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol.  I'll be perfectly honest with you people:  The same snob who spouted about reading classic satirists a few paragraphs ago is the same pseudo-snob whose first exposure to the Dickens classic was this very version, Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol.  I manage to finagle the speakers (loose wire) and project onto the Smartboard screen the cartoon version.  This is actually the most practical of all possible options since the Muppet movie runs ninety minutes, the Scott version runs one hundred minutes, and Magoo's version is about fifty-four minutes, an entire class period.  At least if any administrators should stick their heads into my classroom, my kids are on task and following the curriculum … so to speak.

That in itself is kind of ironic.

If irony were ice cream, it would be my favorite flavor, and I would weigh eight-hundred pounds.