Thursday, December 13, 2012

NOTHING SMART ABOUT WISDOM TEETH



I went to the dentist the other day to have some work done on one of my molars.  I don't mind.  I have been known to doze off in the dentist chair. 

This dozing off thing is a relatively new phenomenon for someone who has endured what can only be described as torturous hours at the hands of Tooth Doctors.  I have had endodontic work for an infected root canal (that eventually failed and the post came out), several teeth pulled as a result of having a butcher for a dentist and parents who didn't really give a shit if I brushed or didn't, and I had two impacted lower wisdom teeth removed along with parts of my jaw bone in a brief afternoon session in the chair because my insurance wouldn't cover it but it had to be done.  I also had a dentist over-nitrous me once, and I woke up gasping for air after his machine (and his mistake) rendered me unconscious.

It is a direct result of the dental work I had as a child that I have a rather high tolerance for pain.  I've had a few teeth filled without novocaine, some work done with nitrous oxide, and some done on pure bullet-clenching.  Did I mention that I knocked out both my front teeth when I thought I was a ballerina?  That was a bloody frigging mess.  Another time I had a tooth pulled and the open socket wouldn't stop bleeding.  I had to go back two hours later and have my jawbone held together with pliers until the bleeding stemmed. 

Good times, good times.

Nowadays the block is so efficient that it seeps through the bone and into the nerve.  Maybe the doc was just telling me a story about this new novocaine, but I felt a difference.  Even if he used the regular old stuff, I would find going to the dentist to be relaxing.  Nothing can be much worse (okay, it can be much worse, but work with me here) than what I've already gone through with my teeth, and it's an entire hour when nobody can bother me.  Put those together, add in a pair of anti-splatter glasses with some office music, and I'm out like a broken light.

I am not yet ready to answer "Dentist chair" to the question "Favorite vacation destination," but at least for a while my teeth and I have gotten along fairly well.

Which leads me to the age-old conundrum:  Why does the dentist ask me questions while he's drilling my teeth if there's too much metal in my mouth to answer him?  Oh.  I get it.  Sneaky bastard.  Never mind, then.

Going to brush my teeth now.