Sunday, December 9, 2012

ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY LASHES



I am walking around the classroom, handing back papers to the kids while they are working in groups.  I wait until they have finished reading the play, a shortened version of A Christmas Carol, so I won't interrupt their momentum and also because it's fun to listen to them spout their lines.

One group finishes first, so I hand back their work, some papers I had collected and graded from earlier in the week, then allow them start the homework.  The second group wraps up the drama, so I give them their completed work plus the homework so they, too, can get a jump start. 

When I hear the last, "Yes, God bless us every one," I make my way over to the final group.  I stand at the edge of their combined desks, passing papers to one student, instructing him to pass the papers around to their rightful owners.  He looks around, sits perfectly still, and exclaims, "Whooooooooooa!  You have looooooong eyelashes!" 

I continue passing papers out because I sure as heck don't want to get into the middle of any weird boy-girl conversations unless I absolutely have to.  Two more voices from the group chime in, "Wow, she really does have long lashes," and "I never noticed that before."  More papers are handed to the students in the group until I hear a rustling noise.  I look up and realize every single student has turned in his or her desk and is staring at me.  And they're all perfectly silent, which is creepy.  Very creepy.

I awkwardly realize, after about thirty seconds because I'm a dumbass, that they are talking about me.  Now, I know I have long lashes, but they're not bizarrely long.  They're not like fake-Phyllis-Diller long.  They're just … long.  My late husband's lashes were long.  All of my kids have long lashes.  We're a long-lashed kind of family.

I don't find this statement to be untrue, but I am suddenly flabbergasted.  I've been teaching these kids every single school day since the beginning of September.  Some of them I see a couple of times a day for an additional study class.  They have had to look at me for more than sixty days, and it is funny that they're seeing my eyelashes for the first time.  It's not weird or stalkerish that they mention my lashes.  Kids say stuff all the time about themselves, each other, and the staff.  They say things about clothing, jewelry, hats, shoes, speech tics, and even comment on my multitude of glasses (I buy 'em cheap and have probably a dozen or so pairs I wear interchangeably).  I simply find it odd that no one seems to have noticed my eyelashes before, nor that they would need to notice them at this moment.

Then I do what I always do when someone says or does something bizarre.  I find a way to make it funny inside my head.  I start smiling in that dopey, "Uh-oh, the teacher is thinking an evil thought" kind of way, because now the last line of A Christmas Carol will forever be, "God bless us every one, and whoooooa, you have loooooooong eyelashes!"  I shrug my shoulders at my silent reverie, finish passing out papers, and the kids all get back to work doing exactly what they were doing before any of them noticed my eyelashes.  The moment, as it was, is gone.

I'm not sure that's what Dickens intended for an ending, but this revised line, "God bless us every one, and whoooooooooa, you have loooooooooong lashes," works for me.  It is a strange moment; it is a funny moment.  It is an awkward moment; it is an innocent moment.  It is the best of times; it is the worst of times.  And I am going to cry all over my long lashes when these kids move on in one hundred twenty more days.  They're a pleasant, albeit unobservant, lot.