Friday, December 7, 2012

FUN AT THE DENTIST



Conversation between me and the new dental hygienist --

SHE:  You need full mouth x-rays.

ME:  Yeah, that's not happening.  I just ate lunch.  You wanna see it make an appearance?

SHE:  I take it you don't like x-rays?

ME:  I'll admit it - shoving a huge piece of plastic with film attached to it into my jaw, clenching down, and having a huge plastic tab jabbing my soft palate is not my idea of a good time.

SHE:  Gag reflex?

ME:  Wicked.  Can't you take the x-rays using chocolate?

SHE:  Chocolate?  I'm cleaning your teeth.  That might make my job a little tougher.

ME:  If I puke, it'll make your job a lot tougher.

SHE:  I don't do puke.  It's why I didn't become a nurse.

(Okay, now I'm feeling really good, like being a hygienist is some sort of medical step down.  Not feeling the love or confidence at the moment.)

SHE:  Some guys come in here, and when I tell them to rinse and spit, they start making that throaty sound, and then they huck loogies into the spit dish.  I mean, someone has to clean that, ya know! 

ME:  That's disgusting.  I'm gonna puke right now.

SHE:  No, please don't!  Then I'll vomit, too.

ME:  Oh, that would smell great.

SHE (a few minutes later, after she has thoroughly torn my mouth to shreds with the metal probe):  Okay, you can rinse and spit now!

ME:  Shall I gag and huck a loogie?

SHE (waving metallic torture implement in my face):  WATCH IT!  I can still make you get x-rays.

-- I behaved for the rest of the appointment. (PS - I got a consult for panoramic x-rays that says:  "Patient is a severe gagger."  She didn't even let me try.)