Friday, December 21, 2012

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT



It's the end of the world as we know it.

According to the Mayans, today is the last day of the world.  This really sucks since I spent the other afternoon at the cable company, got all my grading for school done, already turned in my grad school portfolio, and spent a bundle of money at the grocery store.  

My plans for today include working, picking up a kid from college, enjoying dinner with two of my three kids, and cleaning more of my house.  Saturday I have a chiropractor appointment for my broken ass (okay, it's actually bursitis in my hip, but that sounds too old-lady-ish, so broken ass it is), and I have a couple more gifts to buy for the holidays.

I have a luncheon today.  I've already purchased the fruit to bring, and it's all ready to go.  I also have a bunch of snacks (peanut-free, keep your socks on, people) for my homeroom and the other homeroom that won some fundraising prize this fall.  We're having a party today before the school assembly.

I'm sorry, Mayans, but I am simply too busy for your bullshit.  Did no one tell you that your circular calendar is, well, a circle?  Did you miss geometry in Mayan school?  Do you fail to grasp the concept that a circle has neither a beginning nor and end?  And how reliable are you people if your entire civilization is virtually extinct?  End of the world?  You couldn't even outsmart the Spaniards.  

If I can outlast the Mayans today, I will be content.  If I can't outlast the Mayans, I guess being content really won't matter.

It's the end of the world as we know it … and I feel fine.