Monday, December 3, 2012

NOT SO HIP



Apparently I really did break my ass.  Sort of.

Four months ago I injured myself running up a hill.  In a thunderstorm.  At grad school.  In front of other people.  Like an idiot.  One of my young coworkers constantly teases me about beating her up with my (currently nonexistent) walker.  She may not be far off from the truth, though.

After months of this intermittent pain and the inability to get out of a chair or my car without limping for a good five minutes afterward, I caved and went to the chiropractor.  Well, I didn't cave so much as I was dragged.  Daughter emailed me that we both had 9:45 appointments on Saturday morning.  Now anyone who follows along with my life knows I had the Chili's Festive Intestinal Grippe With Extra Hot Sauce on Friday evening, so I was still a bit funky when I woke that morning.  And, of course, my hip knew damn well where it was going today, so it decided to play that age-old game of Tag-Me-I-Don't-Hurt-Anymore.  There were multiple reasons to cancel the appointment, but I knew my kiddo would send me to a rest home for crazy old people if I bailed on her, so I went.

I got into the exam room feeling kind of stupid.  On a scale of one to ten, today's pain was a two -- a minor annoyance.  I hadn't even had any trouble getting out of my car nor climbing the multiple steps to the medical office.  Mere minutes into the exam, I was starting to wonder if this were a mistake.  I lay face down on the exam table (fully clothed, get your mind out of the gutter) while the doc pressed in various areas of my hip and spine.

"Does this hurt?"    No.

"Does this hurt?"    No.

"Does this hurt?"    No.

"Does this--"  HOLY MOTHER OF GOD ALMIGHTY, THAT MOTHERFUCKIN' HURTS, STOP STOP STOP, OW OW OW!

I actually levitated off the table the pain was so bad.  (This, my friends, is not one of my usual slight exaggerations - I lifted clear off the exam gurney.)  Two x-rays later it was determined that I had (I have) bursitis in my hip. 

After receiving some kind of electric impulse treatment (that I decided is addicting and creepy all at the same time -- love it), then getting various joints put back into place, I had my neck cracked.  Never having experienced this, my daughter (who was mildly entertained watching me suffer) sternly advised me to relax as completely as possible.  No sooner had I taken her advice when SNAP went one side then SNAP went the other, like the sound of two tree limbs struck by lightning. 

Suddenly I felt pretty good. 

I was further advised to ice the hip, which I did as told, and will see the doc again this week to determine what happens next.  If he hooks me up to that mega-cool Frankenstein electrical machine again, though, I'm so all over it (insert smiley face here).  But mostly if he can get my hip back into working order again, that would be fantastic.  I have a goal to participate in the 5k obstacle-course-laden Dirty Girl Mud Run in July.  Also, I just don't feel old enough to be walking like a spaz with a limp and complaining about my damn hip.

I go back this afternoon.  Wish me and my walker luck.