Friday, December 14, 2012

GOING OUTTA MY HEAD



Two weeks ago I was struck down with a migraine and the grippe the likes of which left me feeling horrid for four days.  Finally on headache day #5, a head cold came on.  After fighting that off for eight days, including the vertigo that comes with the combination of eye pressure and sinus pressure, I was again struck down by The Killer Migraine today.

And today, of all days, was Field Trip Day.

For anyone who has avoided the joys of migraines, I hate you and want to choke you until your face turns purple and your eyeballs bulge out.  That's what a migraine makes you want to do to anyone within two miles who dares to so much as breathe, as it makes noise and causes air movement that is painful to one's temples.  I figured that combining more than one thousand screaming children in an enclosed theater with the loud pyrotechnics of the show plus the nausea of the vertigo brought on by the pain of a headache strong enough to take down an elephant would probably be a dangerously explosive combination.

So I did what any sane person would do to avoid being stranded miles and miles from a relatively quiet classroom with only a community bathroom should disaster strike:  I called out sick.

Then I did what any insane person would do: I found some unexpired antibiotics in the cabinet, and I popped one; later, I popped another.

This morning I started blowing yellow goop out of my nose, and my cough is getting more persistent.  I am prone to pneumonia, even after the shot, and I didn't want to get sick yet again.  I mean, I've already been sick for two weeks.  Enough already.  Christmas is around the corner.  I don't have time for this shit.  I have a life!  I'm somebody!  ("The new phonebook's here!  The new phone book's here!"  Double points to anyone who gets that obscure reference.)

My nurse daughter frowned when I admitted what I had done.  It was hysterical because I felt like the little kid who did something wrong and had to tell on myself.  It was kind of like, "I know you already think your mother is a complete blithering idiot, but guess what I did!  I took some amoxicillin out of the cabinet … and I ATE it!"  

I look at it this way:  If this is a bacterial infection, it can't hurt.  If it makes me feel better psychologically, then who cares.  And if I happen to have a bladder infection, am suffering from food poisoning, or have contracted gonorrhea, then I've already started a course of treatment.  That, to me, sounds like pure Yankee ingenuity.