Sunday, December 16, 2012

RAP WITH THE MUMMY



English is a fun subject.  If you don't remember it that way, then you've had the wrong teachers and you have my sympathy.  I could sleep through English in high school and still pull A's and B's with little or no effort whatsoever.  I was lucky; I was a strong writer; I was a master bullshitter.

Literature may not be the most exciting thing in the world - Lord knows there's plenty of shit out there that makes me cringe, both new stuff, old stuff, and ancient stuff.  If I have to read Plato's cave allegory one more time, I'm throwing the old fucker into his own metaphysical fire pit; Romeo and Juliet is one of the most ironic comedies I've ever read; Hemingway wrote dialogue as if we were all sitting inside his warped mind with him; Emily Dickinson belonged in a mental institution and most of her poems can be sung along to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas" (try it - I'm not lying and almost got thrown out of a college-level directed study because of it).

Writing, though, can be the most exciting thing in the world.  Language is fun, and fun with language can be hysterical.  You see, there are certain things that, when said or written, can mean something completely innocent one way and completely not another.  For instance, the vacuum cleaner should suck up dust bunnies, but the vacuum should not suck.  Dante may have gone to Hell, but you can't tell Dante to actually go to Hell, nor can you say, "Oh, hell, it's Dante."   You can say, "Look at the beaver dam," but you cannot say, "Look at the damn beaver."

Recently the students completed reports about Egyptian pharaohs, many of whom were mummified.  The students only needed to write the word "wrap" in some tense in their papers to make one of their many points.  However, some of them did not know that there is a difference between "wrap" and "rap."  Generally speaking, this is not a huge deal because the mistake, though lazy, doesn't truly interfere with the cadence of the speech nor the point if aural.  For example, "To wrap the mummy" and "to rap the mummy" sound exactly the same -- homophones.

Throw in verb tenses, and it all falls apart.  The social studies teacher approached me, explaining that he had never seen so many pharaohs suffer such perversions and that their poor mummified remains had been desecrated.  He didn't understand, nor did I for that matter, how so many children could get through elementary school without learning how to change verb tenses properly, nor that short-vowel words ending in consonants most often had those consonants repeated.

So I did a mini-lesson for my classes.  I wrote the following words on the board --  WRAP  RAP  RAP -- and continued to write their verb counterparts as I went along.

Lesson time.

"Children, you may wrap the mummy.  You may be wrapping the mummy.  You wrapped the mummy.  Maybe you play a knock-knock joke on his head, so you rap the mummy.  You're rapping the mummy.  You rapped the mummy."

Here is where I hesitated.  I looked to the students who know I am about to write the -ing and -ed versions of the last word, but this time,  I did not speak.  I simply added -ing and -ed to the word.  When I stepped away, the students saw the words rap - raping - raped.

"These are very bad words," I told them.  "If this happened to the mummy in your paper, it is very, very, very bad.  Chances are your grade will also be very, very, very bad.  Do we understand the importance now of spell-check and then proofreading, also?  Your computer may not have caught this, but you should have."

Then I erased the board. 

I am so going to Hell.  Damn.  Sucks to be me.