Saturday, December 8, 2012

NEWS RADIO




I am driving in southern New Hampshire, and I am listening to Massachusetts talk radio, as I often do.  The news comes on, along with a traffic and weather update. 

First of all, I don't want to hear the same story over and over again.  If you don't have anything new to report on a story and it already made the 5:00 a.m. and noon broadcasts and every update in between, shut up about it.  Or simply say, "No new information on the Wakefield pervert and his pimp of a wife who supplied him with infants and toddlers to molest."   I really don't need to hear repeated ad nauseam that some bleeding heart judge let her out on a measly $1k bond.  That's disgusting.  I want to hear that some fair and honest inmate at MCI Concord cut off her husband's cajones, causing him to bleed out, and shoved them up her nose, causing her brain to hemorrhage until her ears exploded.  I want to hear that both are no longer burdens to society.  That would be some worthy news.

The traffic report is almost comical.  I have to get to an appointment in New Hampshire, and I have given myself an hour to make the relatively short drive.  I leave work fifteen minutes early because to leave on time puts me smack in the middle of the 93-North commute.  I know this because I used to make this mad run every single afternoon on my way to work at the fabric store.  (Today a coworker said, "Why don't you just go up route 28?"  The answer is:  Because there are 17 traffic lights between South Lawrence and the Methuen line alone, which makes that a one hour commute on a good day.  And yes, I counted those traffic lights on the way to my old job.)  Anyway, we are all tooling along on the interstate when traffic screeches to a standstill.  A tractor trailer, SUV, and van have decided to play demolition derby in the fast lane - what the big rig is doing in the fast lane, I'm not sure, unless he pulled over there after colliding with the SUV.  As I sit and idle in dead bumper-to-bumper mayhem, the radio announcer reports:  "And there's a left lane accident on I-93 at the state line."  No shit, Sherlock.  I totally see it.  Thanks for the warning.  (To be fair, it had just happened.  One Statie is there, no ambulance yet, not even one in sight or in audible approach.)

The kicker is the weather, though.  I know, I know, here I go picking on meteorologists, again.  But really - They can SEE the rain on the radar; I know they can because I watch the Weatherscan channel like it's my religion, and even I can see rain on the radar.  All of a sudden the guy on the radio announces, "Possible showers later tonight."  Really?  Possible?  Later?  Then explain to me, Einstein, how come my frigging wipers are furiously smacking water off my windshield because it's RAINING … now … right now … right this flappin' second.  What's this shit about it might rain later?  Dude, open your eyes and hit the refresh button on your Internet.  It's raining right the frik NOW.   

Perhaps I am overreacting.  Maybe someone hasn't listened to the news yet today and wants to hear yesterday's news stories repeated the following afternoon as if it's a newsflash or something.  I don't.  Hear it once or twice = News.  Hear it three or four times = Reminder.  Hear it twelve times in two days = get some new writers in your newsroom.  And it's entirely possible that the station did just get the news about the accident on the highway since it really has just happened.  If I'd left work five minutes earlier, it may well be me in that crash.  But to screw up the weather?  Truly, you can't even make an accurate and current statement about the weather?  Kind of makes the rest of what you tell me nothing more than glorified bullshit.

Honestly, though, this is talk radio.  Bullshit is its middle name.