Monday, December 17, 2012

HOBO HAIRSTYLE



It is no secret that I have been sick yet again, nor that I self-medicated with a bit of antibiotic to speed the recovery process after two weeks.  Being sick, though, makes me realize just how old and butt-ugly I truly am.

I spent all of Thursday in my pajamas.  I had been fending off intermittent fevers all week, usually in the afternoon.  I would arrive to my team meetings near the end of the school day, and I could feel the sweat beading on my forehead.  I would go home, shower, get into pajamas, hack and or sneeze my brains out, then repeat the performance the following day.  Thursday was attack of The Killer Migraine, Part II.  It was also Field Trip Day.  When I was awakened by searing, stabbing pain through my left eyeball and temple at 4 a.m., I knew a sick-day call was in order.  Problem was, no way did the vice principal want a sick call at 4 a.m.

I rolled around in my own sweat and agony for another hour then got up and started putting together an email of emergency plans.  I didn't really need them; all the field trip stuff was in impeccable order on my desk.  But I covered that base, anyway.  At 5:45 or so, too late now to go back to bed since I had been awake for nearly two hours already, I made the phone call, sent the email, and waited for confirmation that someone, anyone, knew I was going to be out.

At that point I figured I had better work on finalizing the exam for Monday because copies would have to be made on Friday, presuming I wasn't having a major arterial burst.  I made some tea, looked at food, decided there was no way anything solid would be going into my stomach, and headed to the couch for a while.  Daytime TV sucks, so after the two-plus hours of news ended, I headed back to the computer to field school emails.

My head was still killing me, and my eyesight was bugging around because of the sinus pressure (or so I was hoping).  Over the course of the two weeks I had been sick, since The Killer Migraine Part I struck, I had already tried Tylenol and Ibuprofen to kick the low-grade headache.  I went in search of harder drugs.  Yes, I was even willing to take out-of-date Oxycodone if I could find it.  I was hurting that badly.  Instead, as I fessed up to last week, I found and ate some still-within-date antibiotics.

Eventually I made lunch, chicken noodle soup out of a Campbell's can (how very Andy Warhol of me), but was distressed to discover I had no Nabisco Saltine crackers; all I had were Keebler Club crackers, which are way too buttery and dissolve too quickly to be considered soup crackers of any magnitude.  I spoon-fed myself because gobbling the soup down would've meant running to the bathroom to hurl it back up again.  No way did I want to toss the antibiotic because, whether or not it was psychological, by dose #2 I was starting to feel better … dried out and dehydrated, but better.

This is when I made the ridiculous decision to look in the mirror.  It's not like I hadn't already walked by the mirror; it's a big-ass mirror that takes up most of one wall in my bathroom.  But my eyesight hadn't been too swift up until that point.  So I looked.

And I wish I hadn't.

My clothing was rumpled.  I wore wrinkled, crumpled flannel pants, a grubby sweatshirt, yesterday's big gray socks, and I had a blue velour robe draped over everything like some crazy Russian tsar.  My hair was matted and greasy from sweating out a fever, and part of it stuck in a crazy clump halfway up the side of my head, probably from my hand twisting into it trying to yank the pain out of my skull.  My eyes were sunken into dark circles, and my skin was absolutely colorless. 

In short, I looked like a vagabond.  I looked like a hobo.  I looked like a homeless person.  I looked like Willie Nelson on a good day.

There wasn't much I could do about the eyes and skin tone.  Nature and health would give that back.  So I worked on the hair.  I attempted to flatten the part sticking out.  This was as successful as holding down Alfalfa's cowlick.  Then I tried brushing it.  This was as successful as running a comb through Elvis's Brylcreem-ed, gravity-defying Pomapodour.  I ended up using my hands to sort of form my hair into a small ponytail and secured it with a fat-ass elastic, hoping it wouldn't just slide off. 

I could have showered at this point.  I mean, I must've stunk.  I must've had an odor from being sick, that sweaty fever aroma people develop so that you actually smell the illness before you get all the way into the room.  But my sinuses were completely deadlocked.  I couldn't actually smell anything.  I was afraid of the shower because the landlord recently replaced a pipe in the basement, allowing the water pressure to be so strong that both the shower and tub faucet gush at the same time.  This new, increased pressure was wonderful on my aching back, but I was terrified if the stream should hit my temple, I'd be out like Tony Conigliaro.  The shower would have to wait.

Finally I managed a snooze in the afternoon, and I felt better.  I made it into the shower, but I still didn't trust myself to bend over or stand too quickly, so I skipped the shaving-my-legs part.  I know, I know -- gross, TMI, etc.  I made it back to work on Friday, and for the first time in days, I didn't break out into a fever-fed sweat at school.  I still haven't fully recovered and am putting myself to bed at about the same time most young children are tucked in, but I'm okay with that.

And I don't look so much like Willie Nelson anymore.  But then again, neither does Willie Nelson, so it's all good.