Saturday, September 1, 2012

WEEKEND THOUGHTS - POST #1 OF 3



For the weekend, a little fun and nonsense for you, and a little respite for me.  Okay, I'm still writing, just a different project.  My brain will be back in full gear Tuesday; for the next seventy-two hours it's coasting, so enjoy other writers' brains for a couple of days.

Part I:  A brief glimpse inside the warped minds of writers, brought to you by some other writers only these ones are talented and published.  Today's installment = A-H.  Enjoy!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.  (Douglas Adams)

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.  (Robert Benchley)

Finishing (writing) a book is just like you took a child out in the back yard and shot it.  (Truman Capote)

Most writers can write books faster than publishers can write checks.  (Richard Curtis)

Never throw up on an editor.  (Ellen Datlow)

There is no mistaking the dismay on the face of a writer who has just heard that his brain child is a deformed idiot.  (L. Sprague de Camp)

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.  (Peter de Vries)

Nothing, not love, not greed, not passion or hatred, is stronger than a writer's need to change another writer's copy.  (Arthur Evans)

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead.  (Gene Fowler)

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.  (David Gerrold)

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money either.  (Robert Graves)

Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamppost how it feels about dogs.  (Christopher Hampton)

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.  (Robert A. Heinlein)