Thursday, September 13, 2012

TRAWLING FOR COMPANY



I am a liar.  Plain and simple, to be honest, I am a liar.  Let's put that right out on the table. 

If I tell you my first creative moment, I have to admit that moment leaned heavily on a blatant fabrication.  The only kids my age in my neighborhood were boys, and that gets really old after a while.  There are only so many times a girl can play Army men and cars and kickball and go bug collecting before suffering sequin-withdrawal.  I needed to branch out.  I needed to find some pre-pubescent estrogen.

We lived in one of those grid-neighborhoods, the 1950's and '60s version of planned suburbia, where ranch houses spread out like plaid on a picnic blanket.  One day when I was five, I ditched my mother at a neighbor's house and started canvassing the vast streets for children.  I knocked on doors; I ran through back yards; I wandered to the park at the far end of the safety zone, asking the same question over and over:  "Do you have any children here I can play with?"  The answer was always no, followed by nervous glances around, followed by the inevitable, "Where's your mother, dear?"

I simply smiled and fibbed, "She's next door at the neighbor's house."  Sensing I'd been bagged, I would usually slip off into the nearby bushes while the unsuspecting homeowner craned his or her neck to search for a nonexistent garden party.  Amazing I didn't get myself kidnapped or worse.   

My mother was not horrified by my wanderings because she didn't know, though I did catch a smack for admitting I was at the park.  I mean, didn't I know how dangerous it was to cross that busy street alone?  If she only knew I had been exploring boundaries far greater and far more heinous than the big slide and cat-litter sandbox, she might well have had a stroke.