Tuesday, September 4, 2012

IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR



Another summer blown to Hell. 

Honestly, when the vacation starts in late June, I always have such grand hopes that it will be weeks packed with getting stuff done around the house.  Then September rolls in, and the lament starts: I didn't get ANYTHING done.

Well, that's not entirely accurate because I got the filing done and the spare room 90% done, but the basement is still a mess, and I haven't balanced my check book since the Clinton administration.  I decide to take inventory of the things that prevent me from getting my To-Do List done because this is serious business, kids. 

June 16:  My friend Sally and I trek into Boston to see the Corpse Flower at the zoo.  It is about to blossom and stink the joint up, and we don't want to miss it.  We arrive days early and spend the extra time in Boston at Whiskey Priest holding up the bar.

June 17:  Sally and I drag my daughter with us to see the Corpse flower because the idiots on the news keep saying, "It's time, it's time!"  Just Braxton Hicks contractions.  We chat with the head horticulturalist and decide the zoo's Facebook page will tell us all.  Screw the news people; what do they know about the news?

June 20:  The Corpse flower blooms and stinks during the day.  It is supposed to bloom and stink for twenty-four to forty-eight hours.  Boston is hit with an unusually strong heat wave, and the temperatures cause the flower to rot completely in less than two hours. By the time Sally and I arrive, the stench has dissipated, and we must wait five to fifteen years before we get another chance to smell its cadaverous odor.  This depresses us, and we find ourselves parallel parking near the Moakley Courthouse and sitting on the roof deck at Whiskey Priest.  Again.

June 22:  I go to get my hair cut.  I have not been to a hairdresser in over five years and have hair down my back.  Hairdresser gets cold feet and only takes a few inches off.  I go home, look in the mirror, and decide I still look like me.  This makes me cry.  A lot.

June 23:  Go back to hair salon and have different girl cut my hair.  She dares to add bangs and make layers.  It is still fairly long and looks fantastic… when I leave.

June 26:  Cannot recreate hair style for the life of me.  Pick up a friend at her house and go to meet other friends for lunch at a nice restaurant.  We are seated next to a bunch of teens on an outing and a large group of lactating mothers.  We order pitchers of Margaritas and pretend not to notice anyone around us.  It damn near works.

June 28:  Totally pissed off that my new hairdo is a one-time-only style.  Go back to first stylist and insist that she cut it all off.  She does.  Hairstyle looks like a squirrel, but I can actually recreate the look, so it's all good.  Son #2 has late lacrosse game at a school that backs up to woods.  I get eaten alive by mosquitoes because I forget that short hair means my neck is exposed.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  I live on calamine lotion for days.

June 30:  Party!  Someone actually notices that I cut off all my hair.  Amazing.  

July 2:  Another trek into The Hub for OpSail Boston with Sally to see the tall ships.  Someone is shooting cannons off as soon as we walk to the pier.  Headset goes on and I pretend I haven't had the buhjeezus scared out of me.  We meet Son #1 for a nice evening and still somehow end up at Whiskey Priest yet again.  How does that happen?

July 8:  Soccer starts for Son #2.  It's a long, hot walk from the dusty, rocky parking lot, down the stairs, across boiling fake grass.  I decide that an umbrella would be a great idea for next time because it could be used over my head to deflect the sun above or pointed at the ground to prevent toxic heat stroke from the rubber pellets in the turf. 

July 9:  Grad school starts, four nights a week, two different classes.  This process repeats itself for the next six weeks.  I live in a fog and wonder why I have done this to myself. 

July 13:  Friday the 13th - Might as well run the gauntlet and drive to Maine to spend the day with sister #2.  After being insulted on our walk by old men pretending to play golf, we float around her pool.  My hair still looks good … curly and squirrely but passable.  Amazing.

July 24:  Daughter has recently gotten engaged, so we begin the dress search.  Appointment #1 is today.  We are relieved that our budget actually allows her to try stuff on that doesn't look like old sheets and togas.  After about a dozen dresses, two possibilities are on hold, but neither lights a fire, which is probably good since a burning wedding dress might not go over really well in an enclosed church service.

July 28:  Two more bridal appointments today, one at a nice place and one at a discount place that is a bit scary and slightly creepy.  Daughter has officially tried on about three dozen dresses, and we are left wondering what in the hell goes on in the minds of some of these designers.  Apparently they are designing for drag queens - not that it's a bad thing, except not as many drag queens as young women actually buy and wear the gowns.

August 1: Team meeting with my teacher mates because one of them is moving away, and by team meeting I mean we pore over some school records and pour some beer.  But I can't stay because Daughter has another bridal appointment back at place #1.  She tries on more dresses after re-trying the two on hold and decides all the dresses here suck.  We leave without a dress, now up to about four dozen gowns tried on, but the wallet is intact.

August 3:  Another bridal appointment, and this time Daughter goes through at least another dozen dresses (we are up to about sixty-five rejected gowns now, and they are all worthy of said rejection).  The place requires brides to ring a bell when they choose a gown.  A little old lady chases Daughter down with the bell on a puffy pillow, all the while screaming, "RING THE BELL, BITCH, RING THE DAMN BELL!!!!"  We are terrified and run away.  The only thing that saves us is some other poor girl who sacrifices herself.  We see her smiling and ringing the bell.  Honestly, the dress she chose looks like crap on her, but I jump behind the steering wheel and navigate us to safety.

August 5-6:  Soccer tournament; bloody hot; I get heat stroke; boys play well; I feel like the Ancient Mariner in search of water; in all the years I have been attending sporting events in this weather, I have never felt so horrid.  Life is good.

August 7:  We have been searching for the perfect wedding gown and think we may have found it.  It is only available at a small boutique we'd never heard of, but we take a chance.  After another dozen gowns, we are down to the last one, the one we came to see.  We are ready, steeled for that stomach-pit of disappointment.  The curtain parts, my eyes are covered with my hands.  I cannot look.  Do NOT make me look.  I finally peek.  Clouds part, sun streaks across the salon, and somewhere angels are singing:  This IS the dress.  My check book whips out faster than an exhibitionist's junk, and we seal the deal.  Life is good, only this time, I truly mean it.

August 8:  Beach Day.  Now, some may wonder why I hadn't gone to the beach before this when I am a beach addict.  Well, we seem to be having a little shark problem around here.  All right, it's not so little.  The sharks are great whites and have already stalked a kayaker and bitten a man's legs, all in shallow water.  I decide to go in up to my knees and keep an eye out for fins.

August 9-10:  Lunch days with friends.  After hiding and doing so much homework for my grad classes, it's a wonder I have any friends left.  Maybe they're just doing their civic duty of taking a shut-in out in public.  Either way, I thank them profusely.

August 14:  Beach Day #2.  I have grad school finals this week, but I need a mental health break.  We go in the water, float around, and forget to worry about sharks.  We find out later there is a shark sighting mere miles north of where we have been swimming.  We are idiots, but our limbs are intact.  We collect lots of rocks to bring home for a friend's garden.  We consider it weight training and feel good about ourselves.

August 15-16:  I pull an all-nighter partially because it keeps thundering all night and also because I have to finish my final portfolio.  After sleeping for about three hours and working for hours more, I decide the only thing that will help me is an Oreo Coolatta.  After my final presentation, I am still wired.  The caffeine doesn't wear off for twenty-four hours. When I finally do crash, I sleep for something like five days, though I have it written down that I attend dinner and a party or two in that time.  I have no recollection of August 17-22, but my date book says I had a wonderful time.

August 23:  I awaken from my coma and spend another day at the beach.  The beach is empty, for the most part, but people still feel the need to set up right on top of where we are sitting.  We are fly paper for freaks.  One family is so close that we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.  When they go to the water to frolic, we put crackers and cheese under their chairs.  The seagulls go nuts and start attacking their stuff.  Serves them right.  We gather more rocks, partially for the garden and partially to defend ourselves from the angry beach-goers who return to find bird crap all over their stuff.

August 27:  Fun day of accompanying youngest to get all of his necessary shots, tests, check-ups, and fillings before he returns to college (why no, I am not counting the days … yes I am).  His car needs tires, so we go hang out at the tire place in Lawrence.  I decide to go the back way home and realize the city kids are already in school.  The end of summer hits me right between the eyes, which is a lot safer than having a student hit my windshield because he crossed the street when I wasn't looking.  Damnit.  The countdown is on.

August 30:  Open House at school.  I wake up deathly ill with what feels like another bout of pneumonia.  I go to school anyway and spread my germs around like a responsible adult.  This really is the last hurrah.  I think I need one more road trip.

August 31:  Road trip to Maine for a day of games, food, and Christmas shopping.  Yes, you read that right.  What summer is complete without Christmas shopping?  What's wrong with you people, anyway?!  After all, it is the most wonderful time of the year.

Sept. 3:  Drive Son #2 back to college.  Enjoy a few hours of freedom.

September 4:  Back to work at my school, back to grad school, and back into the grind.

I am so depressed.  I mean, seriously.  I didn't have time to do ANYTHING this summer on my household To-Do List.  Thank goodness for that.