Tuesday, September 11, 2012

IN HONOR OF 9/11



The picture has to be just right, the enormous flag wavering just so.   

We stand in front of it for several long minutes, watching it furl and unfurl and furl again, snapping photo after photo.  Her son is an Army Ranger about to be deployed to Afghanistan.  My niece graduates from Marine Officer Candidate School soon and is also facing deployment.  We are in Boston two days before the annual Independence Day festivities, here in this city where America threw her first raw punches.  This day, this city, this flag, this photograph, this moment in time - all of it - must be perfect.

My friend wants to send the best picture of the batch to her son and also keep a copy of it for herself.  If they both use it as cell phone wallpaper, she will feel connected to him while he is serving his country in the Middle East.  I intend to add the better pictures to my burgeoning collection of US flag snapshots that I have taken over the last five years, since I tucked the 35mm-film Nikon back in its case and replaced it with a 35mm-digital Canon. 

She and I agree to share photos, and we both snap away while the wind billows history and symbolism high above our heads.  Tourists infringe on our moment and I on theirs as I step directly beneath the Banner of Liberty to the clicks and whirrs of memories in motion, stars and stripes pouring down their tales of battles won and lost.  I crane my head up, camera to my eye, and I can see into the rotunda above and beyond into the blue sky of freedom.

For a split second in time, the flag holds steady.  With a click and a whirr, Old Glory salutes me.