Thursday, September 6, 2012

IT'S THE TIDY BOWL MAN!



I have pneumonia.  Again. 

This bout isn't so bad.  I feel sorta kinda maybe a bit under the weather, but I cave and finally go to the walk-in because I cannot stop coughing and it prevents me (and probably most of the neighborhood) from getting a full night's (or any) sleep.  Kind of surprises me when the doc announces, "Well, of course you don't feel well.  You've got this spot of crap in your lung, you idiot."  (Okay, she doesn't quite say it like that, but I know she thinks it inside her head.)  She gives me a print-out on pneumonia, like I'm not already an expert after going toe to toe with it for eight rounds, and she also gives me a print-out on chronic acute bronchial infections simply because she knows eventually I will be back sometime down the road, and she wants to be able to say this time, "I flippin' told you so!" 

School starts, though, both for me as a teacher and for me as a grad student, so I have to keep going, and, truth be told, I really don't feel that bad… until I stop moving and sit still. 

I have been on my feet for days getting my classroom ready.  I perform for nearly six hours straight today because the students arrive for Day One and I am en pointe.  After teaching I drive an hour to attend my afternoon class at the university.  A two-and-a-half-hour class.  Except that about one hour into it I discover that the Z-pack meds and Dunkins Coffee Oreo Coolattas do not mix.  In fact, they don't even digest together.  One of them has to go, and go right then and there.  The meds would be easy: one puke and the pill comes up.  But no.  It has to be the Colossal Coolatta  Rejection.  Four times.  In forty minutes.  What a terrific introduction to my new professor and unsuspecting classmates:  "Hello, I'm the student who resides in the bathroom.  My office hours will be as follows…"

The professor mercifully lets class out early, but I remain behind, keeping my office hours for a little while longer because, let's be honest, it's a long ride home with an upset digestive tract.  Thankfully there is nothing left of the Coolatta in any nook or cranny of my system, but I can't say the same for the university's plumbing.  I subconsciously high-five myself for having the foresight to keep a puke bucket in the car, and I arrive home safely and without incident but about four pounds lighter than when I left the house this morning, and I am, ironically enough, ravenously hungry. 

Gosh, I love the first day of school.  Nothing like hacking chunks of a lung all over your students and making an ass of yourself in front of your fellow grad-mates and new professor.  I have to admit, though, it makes one hell of a funny story - to someone else.