Saturday, September 8, 2012

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO COOKIE



I have discovered the secret to eternal happiness:  Freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies.

I keep the dough in the refrigerator or freezer, the kind of dough that simply requires a knife to cut a few squares off and place them onto a lightly-greased cookie sheet.  Sometimes I cook them six at a time in the toaster oven.  Sometimes I cook them a dozen at a time in the oven.  Sometimes I cook them up by multiple dozens and take them to lacrosse games for the families and players to eat afterward.

There is nothing quite as soothing as the aroma of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies, and there is nothing nearly as delicious as a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie with a glass of ice-cold milk.  The clean-up is remarkably easy, too, because the whole process requires four items - a knife to cut the dough, a cookie sheet for baking, a wire rack for cooling, and a metal spatula.

I'm wiping the chocolate off of my fingers, tipping the glass so the last drop of milk does not escape, and I'm thinking maybe "eternal happiness" just isn't strong enough a description.  Nirvana is more like it.  I have achieved Toll House Enlightenment … and 'tis tasty.