Sunday, September 23, 2012

CANON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM...



There's a chill in the air. 

I suddenly realize I forgot to restock my supply of toe and hand warmers, the ones that are air-activated and stick to socks or fit into gloves.  I scour through last spring's pile of junk that I stuffed thoughtlessly away when the season ended.  I find several packets of Toasty Toes and silently pray they are still chemically viable. 

I take out the camera, still loaded with summer's soccer pictures, and prepare to erase the saved files.  I have another epiphany: I haven't restocked AA batteries since July.  In season, restocking batteries is a full-time job.  Taking pictures at a rate of two hundred to a thousand action snapshots per week, depending on the season and competition level, I manage to keep our local supermarkets and pharmacies in close contact with EveryReady, Panasonic, and Duracell.  I am simply trying to do my part in keeping people employed at many different levels.

I'm no pro, but I am diligent.  I accidentally showed up to a freshman soccer game years ago with a brand new digital camera, and the "coordinator" (militant parent) dubbed me "Team Photographer," a job no one ever thought I would take seriously.

But they were wrong.  Frighteningly wrong.

One hundred thousand pictures later, my camera's counter has reset itself several times, and I have even managed to get several hundreds of shots on credible websites.  Many of my photos have been used to make banners, collages, videos, DVDs, recruiting films, and team website pages.  I still can't work every aspect of my camera seven years later, but every so often I manage to take a picture that's so clear and so fresh and so right, it's damn amazing.

There are two positive notes about my action-snapping obsession.  The first actually benefits the coaches.  As a way-too-vocal sideline ref-wanna-be, taking pictures and videos forces me to keep my mouth shut, especially when I'm alone on the sidelines.  If someone yells, "That call SUCKED!" and I happen to be the only one standing there, no camera is going to talk me out of being guilty as charged.  My loner-hobby forces me to be a quiet spectator. 

The second positive note is that I am losing my vision, like most middle-aged people, and I cannot see the camera screen clearly even with my glasses on.  I prefer to have the camera to my face, peering through the viewfinder, snapping away at semi-blurry action, snap-snap-snapping away on sports mode as if I know what I'm doing.  When I get home and download the pictures onto the computer screen, where I can actually see them, I am always amazed at the results. 

Often after a game while I am still on the sidelines, a player will ask, "Did you get a shot of my goal/hit/pass/somersault/penalty…?"  I usually answer no, believing in my heart that I didn't.  Then I see it… on the screen.  The exact moment the player twisted his knee and blew out his ACL, the grimace of pain as he falls but hasn't quite hit the ground; the jubilant celebration as the number thirty-three seed takes down the number three seed and knocks them out of the NCAA tournament; the airborne bicycle kick as the soccer player manages to score out of nowhere to tie the game; the movement of the lacrosse players as they are airborne, seemingly standing on nothing while their feet move several inches off the ground; the incredible save, the impossible goal, the bone-crunching hit, the thrill of victory and agony of defeat.

Fall-ball lacrosse starts today.  I am obsessed.  I am addicted.  And I'm ready.