Sunday, June 17, 2018

RECALLING THE OLDIES

Today I'm at a wine tasting when I run into a former colleague who retired a couple of years ago.  Of course, like all retired teachers, she suddenly looks fabulous.  I offer to carry her case of wine to her car, and she offers to have me over for a glass of wine.

In addition to a glass of wine, another colleague arrives, and we proceed to have a party on my friend's expansive screened-in porch.  We eat pizza, drink wine, munch on salad, and listen to oldies music, trying to guess the musical artists and trying to remember all the words to the songs.

It's a fabulous evening -- cool and refreshing, clear sky, fingernail moon -- and over far too soon.  Driving home I briefly consider the dozens of things that I have to finish before school on Monday.  This is tempered by the reality that tonight has been all about me, all about friends, and all about relaxing.

I change the radio to the oldies station and continue the evening in my car for the drive home.  Hey, it's the weekend.  I can stretch it out as far as I want to.  I sing along as I drive, trying to recall the words, reveling in the memories of a perfect and perfectly unexpected evening.