Wednesday, June 6, 2018

PRE-SUMMER OPERATIONS

Summer is one step closer to being a reality. 

I know this because I haul the kayaks out of the basement and put one of them into the car.  Yes, I do.  Regular readers of this blog know that I am the lucky owner of two break-apart kayaks, modular beauties that can fit into the back of a compact car.  I can fit both of them into my small sedan, but right now I only need one.

After getting the kayak into the car, I clean out the entire trunk and repack it properly for summer.  I have a beach chair, three pairs of summer sandals, and a towel all set to go at a moment's notice.  After the important beach stuff is organized, I add the kayak gear: waterproof bags, carabiners, twine, a small tool set to tighten any loose fittings, and, of course, I pack the paddles.  My life jacket goes in between the kayak halves to prevent them from bouncing together while I drive.

When I've inspected my handiwork and decided it's all acceptable, I crack open a beer and declare pre-summer operations a complete and total success.  Bring it on!  I'm ready.