Wednesday, June 13, 2018

LOST CREDIT CARDS AND LOST KEYS

I am notorious for putting things "in safe places" then promptly forgetting where those safe places are.  I've done this with money, credit cards, gifts, important papers, jewelry, and clothes, to name a few.  One would think after so many decades of making this stupid mistake that I would stop "hiding" shit and just take my chances that stuff will get stolen or lost or dropped.

No way.  I just keep on keeping on.

I am at a small event in a safe place with people I either know or am introduced to on the spot.  There is not one nefarious character in the bunch, but, for some reason, I decide that I must tuck my spare car key far down into my bag of clothes, as if having my car stolen is undesirable.  (Actually, I am bored of my car already, and I've only had it for a year.  Steal it.  Please.)

When I arrive home, I unpack my stuff and don't think about anything related to the bag or the event.  It isn't until two days later that I realize I don't have my spare car key.  But, the worst part is that it's my auto-starter fob.  That will be substantially more money to replace.

I don't panic immediately.  I assume I lost the damn thing like I always do, but I do recall that I simply slid the key fob into the open-topped bag without much thought as to its safety nor safe-keeping.  I tear through the house.  I check and recheck my pocketbook and the key basket and my clothes and the laundry.  I tear apart my car in case the bag tipped over in transit and the key fob is rolling around the trunk or under a seat.

Once I have exhausted all options, I send out an email to the event hostess who contacts the venue, a place not only 70 miles away, but a place that holds a big event there the day after I misplaced my extra key.  This means that my chance of actually finding it is probably zero.  Cha-ching, cha-ching to replace it.

I go through the day pretty much resolved that my stupidity will cost me money.  It's okay, though. I mean, nobody died, right?  It's a damn electronic starter key.

After work I am wandering around the house when I remember the last time I "lost" something (my credit card ... that I had to cancel and replace).  It turned up in my toiletry bag from a plane trip.  Oh, that's right.  I put it there so I wouldn't use THAT card at the parking garage when I got back to Boston.  I forgot it was there and threw the toiletry bag back in the bathroom cabinet for my next trip months later, which is when I found the cancelled card.

I cannot even imagine this.  I only took a small toiletry bag with me with a mini hairspray and some body spray.  I wouldn't have... I didn't think I'd need to keep it safe ... I'm positive I just threw the loose key into my bag.

Damnit, the key fob IS in the toiletry bag.  I don't remember for the life of me even putting it there, but the event was mayhem.  I quite literally threw the key into a bag inside another bag and put that inside another bag.

Yup, I find the key in the same way the old lady swallowed the fly ... I put the key inside the bag to hide it in the bigger bag to prevent it from dropping from the biggest bag; I don't know why she swallowed the fly...

Next time I hide something then lose it, remind me to check the toiletry bag.  Who knows what I'll find in there!  Oh, wait, I know: credit cards and keys.