Saturday, December 9, 2017

WINE DOWN!

My daughter, our friend, and I enjoy an evening of games and fun, and we cap it off with a rousing round of one of the Twelve Drinking Games of Christmas.  It involves dice and glasses of wine.

We are all generally rule followers.  This is easily proven by our chosen professions: teacher, nurse, physical therapist.  Yup, if we don't follow rules, someone will get hurt ... or worse.  However, this does not prevent us from enhancing the rules to our own benefit.  For example, the game requires that if you roll a "1" on the die, you get to sip your wine.  If you roll a "6" on the die, you tell someone else to take a sip.  Well, the rule for #1 sounds reasonable, but the rule for #6 just sounds harsh, so we change it to "Everyone drinks" when #6 is rolled.

Everything is going fine, and we are pacing ourselves because we are all tired and we all have to work in the morning.  Of course, for some reason, we are ridiculously uncoordinated when we are sober (or relatively sober).  It's when silly things happen, like my daughter missing the step at the curb and spraining her ankle, or me cutting a finger with sharp tweezers while trying to fit my phone case onto my cell phone.

We are also rather uncoordinated people.  Recently my daughter baked some amazing chicken in the oven ... only to drop the cooking tray on the floor and lose the meal to the trash.  I have actually broken a toe with an ice cube when I jettisoned it out of the cube tray and it flew up into the air, arcing down at an angle and landing just right so as to not only crack the bone, but it broke the skin, as well.

So, it really should come as no surprise to anyone who knows us that somewhere in the midst of playing drinking games while still on the sober side of the spectrum, my daughter knocks over her entire glass of wine.  The wine spews across the table, just missing the board game we have set up but not missing at all the Advent wreath in the center of it all.

We move quickly.  My daughter rights the glass and saves some of her wine, our friend jumps and moves the board game away from the trickling mess, and I grab my phone to take a picture while announcing loudly, "Wine down!  WINE DOWN!!!!!" 

A few giggles and paper towels later, we are back in business.  All in all, it is a successful evening despite the loss of an ounce or so of red wine.