Tuesday, December 12, 2017

BALANCING CAP

Sometimes the littlest and silliest things can make my day feel so much better.

I don't sleep well the night before for some reason.  I fall asleep just fine, wake up twenty minutes later, then toss and fuss for a long time, finally getting almost five hours ... if even ... of shut-eye.  When I awake this morning, the alarm wakes me from a nightmare about the upcoming Patriots' game, and I am discombobulated and exhausted.

I have an errand to run before work, and it's chilly and icy out following a wet snowfall.  I am trying to get myself out of the house and across the train tracks before the commuter rail backs up traffic at the crossing, and I have to try and beat coworkers to the copy machine now that it is fixed after days on the blink.  I'm rushing, rushing, rushing, and I'm feeling out of sorts.

I pack up my work, pack up my lunch, pack up the stuff I have to drop at the post office, and pack up by back-pack.  Only thing left to do is make my iced coffee (yes, here in New England, iced coffee is a daily necessity, regardless of outdoor temperatures).  I grab my travel mug, add a little sugar, open the coffee container, and clumsily put the cap from the container on the counter.

The cap has landed perfectly on its side and is balancing.

Now, I know in my logical brain that the cap is plenty big enough to balance had I actually purposefully placed it that way, but this is not the reality.  The reality is I let the cap fly sideways so I could continue on my mad rush out the door.

I glance at the cap then stare at it for a few moments.  This is fabulous, to be honest.  I think it's wildly entertaining that the cap just happens to flip away from my hand and land in a way it never has before: impressively on  end.

For some reason, I find this incredibly calming.  Suddenly, my harried morning is a little less harried.  Yup, the cap flip is just what I need to refocus my attention and center my attitude.  I am reminded to take time for the little things, like the unintentional perfect flip of a coffee container cap, because sometimes all it takes is the silliest, littlest thing to make a day that much better.