Sunday, December 17, 2017

SOME HOLIDAY SHOPPING

Today I brave the Saturday crowds in nearby New Hampshire for some holiday shopping.  Christmas isn't much different than any other time of year when it comes to traffic along the strips of businesses and stores in the border towns of tax-free New Hampshire. Temper-flaring and road rage often accompany shopping just over the northern border, so, coupled with the holiday rush, I am not certain what I'm getting myself into with this adventure.

Sure, the usual highway behavior goes on, with people cutting lanes and jockeying to make the exit, but somehow no one is getting mad.  People are making way for the drivers, and the drivers are waving thanks.  Seriously -- not tossing the middle finger; true thankful waves.

Parking spaces, usually a highly competitive game resembling bumper cars and Medieval warfare, are not cause for mayhem as people wait patiently for spaces or park far out and walk in, enjoying the crisp but sunny weather.  Walking from the parking lot to the store isn't an exercise in cheating death; cars actually stop to let people walk by.

Shoppers pack the aisles of the stores, but there is no pushing or moving of carts.  People are smiling and laughing and helping each other find things and reminiscing about childhood toys, many of which are making comebacks and line the shelves.  We even hold the place in line so a woman can go grab the tape she forgot.  And the lines ... so long ... move quickly.  "So sorry for the wait," the cashiers say over and over again, but really it is unnecessary.  The wait is minimal, and everyone is chatting amiably.

In a case of full disclosure, I do not go to the mall.  I do, however, drive by it, and the traffic is moving along.  I know my limits on a regular Saturday, let alone a Saturday before Christmas because I may be nutty, but I'm not insane.