Wednesday, December 6, 2017

ANOTHER HOLIDAY POST

I know, I know: Another holiday post.  Sue me.  It's the Christmas season, and I am going to wring every last moment out of it that I can.

I've started shipping things and wrapping things, but I am woefully behind already.  Even worse, the Christmas toys are still in the plastic storage bins on Sunday morning, even though they've been in my living room for a couple of weeks. 

Enough is enough. 

I spend an entire afternoon getting the toys out and prepped.  Some of them need batteries, like the waddling penguin, and some need a little elbow grease, like the sledding Santa who zooms across the table when the string in his back is yanked.  Some of them don't do anything at all, either because they never have or because the wires have long-since disintegrated with time.

I have just enough batteries for the penguin, and also for the singing dog, the Fiber-optic snowman, the animated Santa that reads 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and for the two talking figurines (one of Rudolph's Santa and one of his companion Yukon Cornelius, the Greatest Prospector of the North).  There are also stuffed Christmas items, like the stuffed Santa and stuffed the polar bear.

And there's more, so much, much more to unpack and place strategically around.  Only one toy doesn't make it through this year: Snoring Santa.  He only semi-snored last Christmas, and this December he isn't snoring at all.  Today is trash day, so he'll be not-snoring with the worms at the landfill from now on.

The house isn't done yet, but it's getting there.  The gifts are not done yet, but they're getting there.  Not everything is in transit yet ... but those that are ... they're getting there.  I may be sluggish at whipping the season into shape, but at least I haven't yet given up.