Thursday, December 28, 2017

MY MORALE IS READY FOR THE COLD

It's cold.  Yup, it sure is, and it's going to get much, much colder over the next few days.  This is the coldest post-Christmas snap of weather since 1917, and it's already taking a whack at morale.

Today it's a balmy 18 degrees.  I say "balmy" because there's little to no wind, so the temperature is about as pure as it can be for 18 degrees.  The sun is strong, though, so strong that when I go into the store to grocery shop, I leave my gloves in the sun in my car so they'll be toasty when I come back out.

Yes, I go shopping.  Grocery shopping.  With the temperatures decreasing and the wind chill increasing, today is probably the best of the next seven or so days to get my butt outside and do all my running around.  Bank, gas station, grocery store, errand to the nursing home, liquor store for New Year's Eve bubbly... just in case.

Just in case we lose power or the furnace breaks or my car battery croaks or the wind makes it impossible to go outside or the snow storm that might come actually does.  I have food, I have drink, I have ice, I have coolers, I have blankets, I have candles, I have flashlights, I have books to read, I have the phone all charged. 

18 balmy degrees today will rapidly fall to wind chills in the negative numbers tomorrow.  I have a few more days off before work starts up again, and I fully intend to do something that I'm not very good at and do very rarely: RELAX. 

If you need me, I'll be the one under the pile of blankets in front of the electric fireplace decadently sipping wine mid-afternoon with one hand while holding a book with my other hand.  It may be cold, but MY morale is totally ready.