Tuesday, December 5, 2017

SUPERMOON 2017 SEASON

Supermoon 2017 Season is practically in the books.  December's supermoon hits its brightest on Sunday evening, and it's a little hard to see.

Well, not entirely.

Much of the evening and into the night, the supermoon hides behind clouds, and by "hides," I mean it looks more like someone left a light on in a shaded room.  Clouds keep whisking in front of the supermoon, which causes an eerie "light in the fog" illusion in the sky.  The supermoon is so intense that even at 3:30 in the morning when I wake up (randomly), I cannot see the actual moon, but the sky is already looking like breaking dawn.

A supermoon happens when the full moon is at a point in its orbit at which it is closest to Earth.  Decembers Full Cold Moon is, according to www.space.com, the first and the last supermoon for 2017.  Although the Full Cold Moon has been elusive most of the night, when I wake at 5:00 a.m. I glimpse outside to see a large, illuminated orb hovering above my car at the end of the driveway.

Finally.  Clear view!

I lose the supermoon for a while on the way to work while I weave through the state forest, which is packed with evergreen trees.  Shortly, though, I get the best views of the moon as I enter the long driveway to work.  I want to stop and snap a picture, but the location (on an incline in the middle of the school road) isn't ideal. for stopping.  By the time I park my car, the moon is behind a grove of trees.  I jump out, grab my phone, and attempt to snap a photo of the supermoon before daylight really takes hold.  

There's something soothing about a bright full moon, and this is a full moon on steroids.  I'm hoping the photo is enough to get me through a stressful day until I can get a glimpse of the waning supermoon tonight.  I need all the soothing help I can get at this time of the year.