Monday, December 11, 2017

SNOW - SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE GOT

Remember this post when we get to the end of the winter.  I will be eating my words.

Today there is snow on the ground, on the fences, and clinging to the trees.  Everything is finally starting to look like Christmas.  The lights on homes and on trees look amazingly festive with the addition of snow. 

The whole world seems clean and fresh when the snow first falls. It has been a silent snowfall.  The flakes fall quietly, and the wind stays completely
still.  It is the kind of snowfall that makes everything seem muted and silent and wonderful. 

In the morning we discover that it is a semi-decent storm -- about six inches of snow -- but also a wet storm.  The snow is heavy and chunks together.  This makes for tough shoveling, but it also makes for great snowballs and snowmen.  The sun is shining brightly the day after the snow storm, and the temperatures reach into the 40's, making shoveling fun but sweaty business.

In the end, though, all the town is fresh and beautiful; I know because I take a little drive around to do errands and to see the white wonderland.   

Wonderland

Yes, throw that back in my face next spring when I am complaining about yet another storm because it seems that we are entering that pattern.  Snow Saturday, snow due Tuesday, possibly snow again next weekend... I don't think we'll hit another winter of 110" of snow, but every few days will do wonders for my muscles.

Bring it on, Mother Nature.  I have shovels and icy-melt and a whole stock of gloves and hats and scarves and coats and down vests and boots.  Show me what you've got and I'll do the same.