Tuesday, December 19, 2017

SIDLE ON OVER FOR A SHOCKING EXPERIENCE

Lately I have been the queen of static..  I touch things; I get zapped.  I'm like a walking lightning rod.

Today one of the students hands me her paper.  I check it over, ask her to add something, and hand the paper back.  When we exchange the paper, her finger briefly makes contact with my hand. A loud SNAP is heard, and I flinch, obviously taking the full brunt of the static shock.  She, on the other hand, makes no indication that she has been affected in any way, shape, or form.

"Wow," she says in a  matter-of-fact manner, "I HEARD that."

I want to respond with, "No shit!"  That probably wouldn't be very professional, though.  Instead, I just nod and pretend to go about my business.  Truth is that it smarts a bit where the shock happened.  I'm now completely paranoid to touch anyone or anything as I feel so surrounded by static electricity.


It isn't even officially winter yet, and already I think I may have used up more than my allotment of static shocks.

But, in the case that I haven't, sidle on over and get close to me: the shock may be better than a defibrillator, and it will certainly "light up" your life.