Saturday, November 11, 2017

SCRAPERS, SCRAPERS, WHO'S GOT MY SCRAPERS?

I am notorious for losing things, replacing them, then finding the things that I lost in the first place.  It's a nasty curse that has led me to own not one, not two, not three, not four, not even five, six, or seven... I own so many windshield scrapers that I've lost count.

I own small scrapers I can maneuver with one hand; I own long scrapers that can reach the center of the windshield; I own medium length scrapers that are ideal for windows; I own several scrapers with brushes on them for getting the fluffy snow (when it IS fluffy) out of the way.  I own enough windshield scrapers to open my own windshield scraper kiosk.

Of course, the morning of the first frost, I leave my house, confident that I have at least two scrapers in my car.  I start the car, crank up the defroster, and prepare to start scraping the windows so I can make the mad dash to work. 

There's only one problem: No windshield scrapers.

I check the trunk -- Nothing.  I look under the seats -- Nothing.  I recheck the trunk and start tearing things apart.  I still have some of my summer gear back there, but the trunk is organized.  I can find walking poles, several umbrellas, two life jackets, a sun hat, some flip flops, my water shoes, two sets of oars for the kayaks, a whole slew of waterproof bags, emergency tools, cleaning supplies, and some random sports balls.  I close the trunk, check the seats again, then re-check the trunk, now to the point of pulling crap out of every crevice I can find.

If I ever intend to get to work, I'll have to improvise.  I unload my backpack, find my wallet, pull out my Stop & Shop card, and start scraping the windows, the back windows, and, finally, the front windshield.  I don't even bother putting the card back; I shove it into the center console as I pull my car out of the driveway.

Later, after work and after another semi-crappy day, I hit the store and load the groceries into the trunk.  The trunk ... that now looks like a mini-bomb has exploded all over it because my formerly well-organized belongings have been tossed (by me) all over the damn place. 

I do find the two scrapers tucked neatly into a bag and stuffed carefully next to the emergency tool kit.  Apparently, I never restocked all of the scrapers I own when I changed over from my old car to my new one six months prior.  The scarpers won't do me a damn amount of good now, but at least I know where they are.

On my way to the basement to do laundry later, I spot the other three scrapers/brushes that I removed from my old car.  These scrapers/brushes haven't made it to my car yet because I traded in my previous vehicle for this new one at the start of the summer.  I gather up the scrapers from the basement floor (where I dumped them last May), and I prep them to be returned to my car.

Not today, though.  I'm not leaving my house today.  It's too cold, and I'll probably just have to scrape the windshield, anyway.  My brain knows that I have enough scrapers now to outfit the entire neighborhood, but I know me.  Give me a week or two; I'll have lost them all by that time.