Friday, November 17, 2017

LIGHTS OUT!

We have a half day at school today because there's an open-house in all of our classes this evening.  I am hesitating whether or not to stay all the way through and maybe get some of my own work done.  Just as I decide to stay ...

The electricity goes out.  Then it comes back on for a minute.  Then, it goes out and the generator kicks in.  We have some lights and zero excess power (no computers, no pencil sharpeners, and zero lights in the bathrooms).

Apparently, there has been an accident on a nearby street.  This means that our school (out of session for the afternoon) and three nearby schools (still in session) are without power, along with hundreds in the surrounding neighborhoods.

I could file papers; my filing cabinet requires no electricity.  I could grade papers; my pens and pencils require no electricity.  I could plan for the shortened schedule next week; I still have a hard-copy planner.

Nah.  I head home, turn up the heat, turn on the outside lights so I don't come home later in darkness, and eat two giant bowls of leftover beef stew. 

I hope power has been restored by the time I get back to work... or, maybe I hope it hasn't.  There are worse things than coming home and going to bed early because, at my age and in my line of work, these are real-world goals.