Thursday, November 16, 2017

BEATING THE SLOWPOKES

I found another way to work.

Yup, after eighteen years, most of which have been spent driving in the same way (south on route 28), I branched out in the last two years when my school was remodeled and rerouted to a less accessible entrance.  I tend to come across another busy route and meander in the back way. 

The only problem is the light.  There's one traffic light in particular that is finicky.  It is such a pain in the ass that I have found myself racing two different school buses to try and beat the light.  When one or both of them beat(s) me to or at the light, it causes me great agida and forces me to re-route myself an entirely different way to work lest I sit behind large yellow taxis that stop at every ... single ... house ... and sometimes twice at the same house because one kid comes out the front door and a second kids straggles out the back door.

Recently the town re-paved a side road that comes out to its own light.  It is a direct crossover to the back road I like to take to work while I sing along to Sirius Radio at the top of my lungs.  It's an extra half a mile or so of driving to get to the little road, but the light is far more efficient than the one about one hundred yards to the left, and so far this week, I have managed to beat both buses.  Today I even beat one of the buses that had been ahead of me because it went to the very slow light.

Yup, even with the extra half a mile, I got across the main road first because the other light is so ... damn ... sluggish and this new one at the end of the freshly paved road is very sensitive and timely.

NOT that I am in any big hurry to get to work or anything.  But, truth be told, I'd rather get to work early and easily than spend the time sitting behind the bus watching students drag their heels as they plod along.  I spend the REST of my day watching that in the hallways, dragging of heels and plodding along.  No need to waste my commute on that, as well.