Saturday, November 18, 2017

I CAN SEE CLEARLY ... NOW

I have an eye doctor appointment today.  The office has been calling me for days to update my insurance info, which I do online.  When I arrive at the office, the info isn't in the computer, so I re-enter everything on their kiosk machine and scan my new insurance card into their system.

Two minutes later the desk calls to me and says, "So, you're self-pay?"

"Excuse me?"

"No insurance?  Paying today upfront?" she asks.

Um, that would be a big fat NO.  I tell her that I have already updated everything ... twice.  I even have the confirmation email.  I hand her the card and she tries to call the business office for approval.  They hang up on her.

What the hell. 

Look, folks, I can still see well enough.  I can drive without glasses, but sometimes I'll use +1.25 or +1.50 if it's dark or rainy out.  I can read well enough with +2.50 and perfectly with +2.75.  I color coordinate my outfits using the crazy cheap glasses that I find at places like Wal-Mart or Christmas Tree Shop.

You want to screw up my insurance info?  I'll head back over to Christmas Tree Shop and buy more glasses I don't need because what I don't need even more is a hassle.

Turns out it's all okay.  The insurance info goes through.  I pass my exam with flying colors, meaning my sight is no worse off than it was last year.  I can still drive legally without glasses, if I so choose, and have both eyes at 20/30 vision. 

Best part is that my new insurance has a ZERO co-pay for my annual eye exam.  Score!  (Score, that is, now that the info is finally saved in their system.)

The downside is that my pupils are still dilated because the appointment is so quick.  No vision problems, no eye problems, so I am an easy fifteen minute case.  It's dark out when I leave (thank you, November and falling back an hour), so I have to drive with my headlights on and my sunglasses to shield my eyes from the horrifyingly bright and huge lights of oncoming traffic.

The good news is that I am 1.5 miles from the doctor's office, I get home safely, and I don't wipe out any cars or pedestrians on my way.