Monday, November 13, 2017

POPOVER PUCKS

Today is a beef stew kind of day.  It's chilly out, and the football game of interest isn't on until this evening.  I'm cleaning out the spare room that only made it halfway through its original blow-out this summer, and trying to reorganize enough to get Santa's Workshop set up (gift wrapping station).

For some reason, I am craving popovers.  It has been so long since I made or ate popovers that I don't think my kids even know what they are.  I love popovers, so I dig out my mother's recipe ... a.k.a. Betty Crocker ... and give it a whirl.

The popovers look fabulous when I take them out of the oven -- warm and tall, though I know the tops will fall in shortly.  For some reason, the popovers weigh a lot.  They're very heavy, not too heavy, but heavy like when biscuits end up more like hockey pucks than rolls.  I also seem to have forgotten how eggy they taste.  I don't remember them being so yolky (yeah, I may have made up that word), so I try to cut that flavor with a slab of butter melting inside the popover's center.

When the butter trick doesn't help as much as I'd like, I pull the popover I am eating into pieces and dip it into the gravy of my stew, making the roll more like Yorkshire pudding.  That does help, but still I am disappointed by my memory mismatching my reality.

Oh, well.  I have leftover popovers and stew, which isn't a bad thing at all.  The spare room doesn't get finished, but I'm over it, at least for now.  I can always use the popovers as paperweights to hold stuff down until I can put it where it belongs.