Wednesday, November 8, 2017

I SMELL FIRST SNOW

Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, snow, SNOW.

When I leave work this afternoon, I walk out of the building, take a deep breath, and say out loud to no one, "I SMELL SNOW!"

My buddy in Western Massachusetts says it is snowing in his neck of the woods.  I am waiting, somewhat impatiently, for the snow line to move across the radar map and blanket my neck of the woods.  

There's nothing quite like the first snowfall of the season, regardless of how major or minor it may be.  I keep peeking out the windows past the sheer curtains and the shades, searching through the darkness of the early evening sky. 

Nothing yet, though; no first snow.

I check the radar again. Little by little the snow inches northeast.  The temperature, however, is holding steady here at 45 degrees. 

Maybe.  Maybe ... probably not.

I haven't given up yet, but it's getting later and later, and I've had a long day.  Sorry, snow, but if you don't make an appearance soon, I might have to wait for snowfall #2 ... or #3.  It's comforting to know that the snow is just a few miles away, and that thought will lull me to sleep tonight.  Well, that and the knowledge that my nose was right.