Friday, April 1, 2016

ANTI-CRAFTY

I want to be crafty, and by "crafty," I don't mean sly -- I mean able to do arts and crafts. Oh, I've tried and tried and tried over the years.  I've failed miserably at all of it, from crocheting to paper mache and everything in between.  My most recent foray is into painting.

I don't get it.  How can I suck so badly at things that other people find so simple?

Tonight I am at a paint night to raise money for the MSPCA.  I have great hopes for this paint project.  It's only my second attempt at painting.  My first attempt looked like fish, which is unfortunate since it's an autumn view of birch trees.  The painting assignment for today seems simple enough: Sky, water, grass, and an animal.

I am sitting between a friend, who can paint perfect clouds on her first try, and a stranger, whose first attempt at painting yields unbelievable results, including complicated shading techniques.  I instantly hate them both.  My painting is starting to look like something a mental patient might produce during a psychotic episode.  Honestly, I cannot keep up with the rapid-fire instructions.  I barely have the correct paint brush picked out and the class is already two paint colors ahead of me.

Oh, well.  It's a fundraiser.  Plus, it's not like I have to hang the painting up anywhere, and good riddance, too.  After all, people who are not crafty probably should just accept it and move on to the next pastime.  Let's just hope that paint is not involved in any way.