Saturday, April 9, 2016

5K STATS

The results are finally in from that 5k that I walked/semi-jogged in the snow on Sunday. Considering that I cannot run anymore (as if I ever could), I did all right for an old lady in the snow.  I may not run as fast as the troops, but I "ran" For the Troops, and that's what matters.

Overall, I came in around the 77% mark, which means that I finished ahead of 23% of the other participants.  This is not so important from a statistical view as it is from a geographical point of view.  I walked a 5k in Kennebunk in 13-degree weather two years ago and got lost because they took the course down before I was done.  I mean, jeez, I got in under an hour.  I guess they roll the streets up super-early there... and I must've been dead-last.

For this race, I averaged a little over 14 minutes per mile, which is pretty good at a walking/sort-of jogging pace.  This put me in the top 71% of all females running, which means that I managed to out-walk 29% of the women who raced. 

In my gender age group I did even better.  I came in just under the 60% mark of women my age, which means 40+% of women like me were actually behind me.  Part of this remarkable feat is because I didn't want to get left behind, but the main reason that I wanted to get 'er done is because somewhere around mile #2 I was starting to think about potties.

No matter.  I finished the race, I enjoyed it, and I'll probably do it again next year.  Best of all, I got an awesome shirt that I can wear with pride because I truly earned it.