Friday, April 15, 2016

OVER-MEDITATING

One of the side affects from meditating is being so relaxed that I doze off sitting up while trying to watch television.  It's not late, and I'm not exceptionally tired.  But, oh boy, am I ever relaxed.

After seven weeks of stress (starting with a car accident when someone ran a stop sign), I have a chance to take an hour-long meditation session led by a friend.  When I had a grad school professor who required meditating, I resisted.  After all, I was a busy grad student trying to finish a degree and write a thesis.  Relax?  What nonsense.  I had things to do!

Now, though, I see the value of slowing down every now and then.  Besides, I can support a friend and recharge my inner batteries all at the same time.  I may have recharged just a bit too much this time.  The moment I sit still to watch television, I nod off.  Then I rouse and rally ... then I'm out again.  This cycle repeats probably five times.  I force myself to stay awake through the end of the show.

I mean, no way am I going to bed at 9:00 p.m., relaxed or not.

Okay, yes, yes I am.  It's a side affect of meditating.  That's my story, anyway.