Monday, April 11, 2016

HOW THE HYDRANT TOTALLY TICKED ME OFF AND RUINED A LOAD OF LAUNDRY

I really, really, really wish the town would let people know when they're going to drain a hydrant.  Saturday, for no damn good reason, the town decides to open the hydrant right across the street from my house.  More than 24 hours later, that damn thing is still pumping water into the street.

I mean, seriously.  Isn't this somewhat wasteful?

Oh, yes, and the water is crystal clear.  NOW.  But, before now ...

My daughter drops by to do some laundry at my house.  No problem, I assure her, pop in the clothes, and forget about them.  I transfer them to the dryer, still none the wiser.  Until ...

Until I try and brush my teeth.

The water is so rusty and brown that it actually smells metallic.  The last time this happened, my hot water heater went from all the rust in the town water.  Hahahaha, no worries this time, right?  Of course, I have a mouth full of toothpaste.  What to do?  I grab the fluoride rinse and use that as makeshift water, rinse my mouth out, and head to the kitchen.

I'd better write a note, I think, so the kiddos don't try to drink or cook with the rusty shit pouring out of the faucets and staining the porcelain toilet bowl.  Halfway through posting the note near the door so people will see it, I get a horrifying realization.

My ... daughter's ... laundry.  Shit, shit, SHIT.

Of course, it is too late, just like the first time this happened to me decades ago and I ruined $120-worth of white judo gis.  Fucking town and their fucking shitty, rusty water!

Yes, I ruin four of her shirts and several socks.  I might be able to dye the shirts and at least salvage something for her, but by the time I figure out what's going on, everything has been through the hot cycle in the dryer, setting the nasty stains for all of eternity.

If only the town had sent a text or an email or something, but that would make too much sense.  Better to poison the waterhole and confuse Woody and Buzz.