Wednesday, April 13, 2016

RECYCLING FOR CHARITY

Every other week my recycling goes to the curb.  Yup, I'll admit it: I put my regular bottle and can recycling into the bins. It's not that I am too lazy to return the recyclables to the store.  I mean, I'm at the grocery and/or liquor stores several times a week.

I discovered a couple of years ago that a slight man on a bicycle peruses through the recycle bins when we put them out every other Tuesday.  He shows up at first light, which is around 6:30 a.m. currently and about an hour earlier when the summer comes.  I put out the recycling the night before so it will be curbside when he comes around.

This morning as I bring the trash bag to the sidewalk, I call down the street to him, letting him know that I have a lot of salvageable cans and bottles for him.  He waves back to me.  I'm not certain he speaks English.  I see this week that he has brought a young girl with him, a daughter or granddaughter, perhaps.  They are both wearing fluorescent safety vests.  This relieves me.  I know they will be visible on the streets with these vests.

I do not know if my recyclables yield them any treasures because I leave for work while they are still canvassing my street, and the bins are empty from the truck collection by the time I get home.  I hope my small contribution helps him.  I know it helps me.  Sure, I could return those bottles and cans, but truthfully I do not want to.  I have no place to store them until I have enough worth returning, and I consider it a small but honest donation to someone who hopefully appreciates it.