Saturday, April 30, 2016

TRIVIA NIGHT OUT

Tonight is trivia night - a fundraiser for Boston Children's Hospital.  We have a full table with two generations of players.  This turns out to be crucial in the music round.  Over the course of the evening, I know some of the answers and score big time when I know the answer to the television show for which John Laroquette won multiple Emmy awards (much as I would love it to be for Black Sheep Squadron, it is actually for Night Court).

I'm losing steam by the end of the game (it is Friday, after all), and I am thrilled when our team places third overall.  I'm also kicking myself for a few I couldn't remember (Bjorn Borg is stuck in my brain when the correct answer is Boris Becker, and I do not insist on goat when that is, in fact, the answer).  However, for rusty trivia players, we do all right.

One of the younger adults at our table wins a raffle prize.  Then, he wins another.  After a few other items are raffled off, he wins another prize, then another, and then another still.  People around us seem mildly annoyed, but they have just as much chance of winning as does our boy.  A couple of other people from our table win things.

We have a great time, answer enough questions to take third place, and raise money for charity --- $5,000+  I mean, seriously: It's for the children ... damnit.