Wednesday, April 27, 2016

DUST BUNNIES AND OTHER CREATURES FROM THE DEN

This evening I tackle the second to last space in my house that needs to be done.

Months ago I started with my son's room (though, by now, you'd never know -- I mean, I love him and all, but still), then hit part of the basement, then back upstairs to the den and my room (about 80% done up there), then I came back downstairs.  I rearranged the entire living room, hated it, and within an hour put it all back the way it had been, for the most part. 

I also discovered that this house is wired really strangely and several of the rooms have multiple plugs on various walls that are all connected to the same switches.  Hard to believe after a dozen or so years that if I'd just moved some plugs around, I could've controlled my Christmas tree with the flick of a wrist.  Oh, well.  Live and learn.

Tonight, though, I face off with the computer corner of my den.  Why?  My son is rewiring the Internet.

Mind you, the internet on this particular (wired) computer has not worked in over a year, and I've sort of been ignoring the thing ever since.  I turned it on a few weeks ago to try and do some Word document work (because my laptop is older and doesn't have Word on it at all right now after a rebuild), but I could not get the damn printer to work, even though it was plugged into the wall and the switches were all in the correct positions.

All this sounds like excuses.  Well, true that.  But the end result is simple:  Dust Bunnies.  No, not really bunnies.  Dust Great Danes.

Once I start moving the furniture around, these giant gray beasts start attacking us like wayward tumbleweeds gone amok.  I don't think I've seen this much clumpy dust ever ... No, wait.  Scratch that.  I definitely saw this much and more when I cleaned out part of the basement.  Okay, I haven't seen this much dust in my main living space in forever.  I am deeply ashamed of myself.

I am also embarrassed to discover that the probable reason for the printer not working is because, even though the printer has been plugged into the wall and the USB cable has been connected to the tower, the part that plugs into the printer itself has not been completely inserted.

 Hmmmm, perhaps this is the problem, after all.  Perhaps I can get that old dinosaur working again.  Perhaps dust was clogging up the works!  Maybe ... maybe ....

Oh, look at the time!  What a shame.  I mean, really.  It's like a little after dinner time, and, well ... now that the irrationally large dust bunnies are gone, I'm starting to lose interest in this whole rearranging shit.  After all, the new Internet is all installed, this room is also about 80% done, there's a movie on television that I want to watch.  Oh, yes, and there's still the other side of the basement to de-clutter and organize eventually.

I believe it was the late Erma Bombeck who noted that no one ever gets to Heaven and says, "Gosh, I really wish I'd spent more time cleaning!"  Those dust bunnies aren't going anywhere, and, knowing how fast bunnies reproduce, they'll just be more of them again next week.

Now, if I can just find the remote in this mess.