Tuesday, December 1, 2015

PLANNING A TRIP ... SORT OF

I have a zillion things to do, so, instead of doing them, I sit down at my computer and spend two hours planning a trip.

Do I want to fly?  Honestly, I've never flown anywhere.  I'm a cheap bastard, and it pisses me off to see air fare that is $300 one day and $89 the next ... for the same frigging flight.

Do I want to take the train?  Well, my stuff can't be locked, and I'd have to leave it unattended every time I went to pee or get something to eat.  Even if I checked my bag, I'd probably lose my seat or have stuff like a jacket or a book stolen if I left it to hold my seat.  Plus, who the hell knows who'd be sitting next to me.

I'd like to drive, but it's kind of boring to drive by myself.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I'm quite entertaining when I want to be.  I can be a marvelous travel companion.  There's no worry about my stuff getting lost or losing my seat to a nutcase at Penn Station. 

The best part about driving (other than not losing my seat or having restrictions on my travel bags) is that I don't have to worry about plane de-icing, shoe bombers, or engines failing. And, quite frankly, the amount of time it takes to get to stations or airports, get settled, check in, wait for flight or departure delays, etc... I might as well get my ass in a car and drive.

Now, do I rent a car or drive my own car?

You see, this is why I rarely go anywhere.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  Did I plan a trip?  Sort of.  Did I avoid doing the zillion things on my to-do list?  Oh, yeah.