Tuesday, December 29, 2015

EXTENDING CHRISTMAS

Unlike Scrooge, I am stuck with the Spirit of Christmas Present.  Yup.  I am not ready to give up the Christmas ghost yet.  I wake up this morning, turn on the television and and thrilled to see Christmas movies are still on the Hallmark Channel and the Hallmark Movie Channel. 

Yes!  Christmas extends a little longer.

It's no secret that I am in need of some doctoring -- my back/hip is so out of whack that I am starting to suspect I must've suffered some secret trauma because everything hurts.  I have a reasonably high tolerance for pain, but this is getting ridiculous.  My friend is suffering from an attack of sciatica, so she takes her hurting left hip, I take my hurting right hip, and the two of us go to the chiropractor for adjustments.  When we get into her car ... Christmas music is playing.  When we get to the chiropractor's office, Christmas music is playing there, too.

Yes!  Christmas extends a little longer.

I have to write a paper and get a presentation ready for right after the holidays.  As I sit here typing and destroying my office space with resources spread out and notes and papers everywhere, I am sitting right next to the television (you know, so close our parents would smack us), watching yet again the same Hallmark Christmas movies I've been watching since Thanksgiving. 

Yes!  Christmas extends a little longer.

Not homework, not pain, not even the calendar is willing to give up the Christmas ghost this year.  Christmas Present, you are welcome to stay as long as you like.  But, just so you're fair-warned, the decorations usually come down around the twelfth day of Christmas.  But since I'm under the gun with this paper/presentation, I'll grant you an extension.  After all, you've done so for me; it's the least thing I can do this holiday season.