Thursday, December 17, 2015

DIP ON A CHIP: IN MY OWN DEFENSE

I did it.  Also, I didn't do it.

I have nearly a ton of homework to accomplish for a class I am taking.  I start doing said homework this afternoon by meeting with a class compatriot for an hour and filling in paperwork.  Let me assure you, this is no easy task as the notebook containing information for the entire course weighs about twelve pounds.  Carrying this notebook around is akin to carrying a toddler on my hip.  The homework calls to me, taunts me, and screws with my blood pressure.

Alas; I do not do it.  I do not do my homework.

Sitting here at the kitchen table after finally losing the homework-no homework debate, I decide to mash up two avocados and add some fresh lime and salsa until I have the perfect guacamole.  I make some nachos to go with said guacamole, and I also decide that a gin and tonic is in order since the lime is already out and sliced.  I suspect that my son will come home later and wonder what has happened to those avocados.  Who ate those avocados, he will say to himself.

Alas, I do it.  I eat the avocados in a marvelous guacamole with some killer nachos.

Guilty as charged.  I did it (ate the avocados) and I didn't do it (my homework).  As I stare at eight nachos left on the plate along with a scoop of guac, I suppose I should feel a little bit like I'm being naughty.

Alas, I do a little tiny bit ... Oh, damnit, who am I kidding?  I don't feel the least bit guilty, naughty, nor remorseful.  Everyone is entitled to a little dip in work time and a little dip on a tortilla chip, right?

That's my defense, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.