Wednesday, December 2, 2015

KILL THE WABBIT

The other day at work I'm trying to find some music to pump me up in the morning.  I now have some kickass speakers mounted into the ceiling of my room, and I've been known to blast everything from Dropkick Murphys to Big Band music.  I'm having a particularly shitty morning on this particularly shitty day, so I head for Pandora's symphony station.

On comes Ride of the Valkyries, or, Die Walkure, by Wagner.

You know this song.  Yup, you do.  Even if you don't know classical music, you know this one.  It's the one from Looney Tunes when Elmer Fudd sings, "Kill the wabbit, KILL THE WABBIT!"  Here, try these links (you might have to copy and paste into a tab):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhQ2BDt4VE

Anyway, even if you don't click on the links (or copy and open them), suffice it to say that I had Wagner cranked to the rafters, which is a daring thing to do since the superintendent's office is three doors down from my room.  I just felt the need, though, because some days at work are just like that.

My limited knowledge and a few clicks of dictionary.com tell me that a Valkyrie is a Norse mythological figure, a woman, actually.  She represents one of twelve handmaidens to Odin, and they choose slain warriors from the battlefield to enter into Valhalla (which reminds me of another song, Vahevala, by Loggins and Messina).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDOkRJ1w20


Some days I want to ride with the Valkyries, plucking up the dead ideas thrown at me at work and leading them into oblivion where they belong.  Other days, I just want to kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit ...