Friday, May 2, 2014

WRITE, RIGHT

So ... I take one of those online quizzes to see what career I am meant to have.  I expect it to say something unbending, like judge or military officer.

This is what I get instead:  WRITER

Then it goes on to say, "You have a skill for language, your imagination is vast and you are artistic and creative. Your brain is just overflowing with ideas, and all you have to do is get a piece of paper and share it with the world. You were born to turn words into magical stories."

How fitting is it that I am about to crash and burn at a graduate event tomorrow that includes reading from one of my manuscripts that I hope to have accepted as my final thesis?

I'm not feeling very confident about turning anything into magic.  Maybe a pile of pooh, but not magic.

However, while practicing this evening for tomorrow's public humiliation, one of my co-presenters brings out homemade fudge, and this happens right after our hostess, who is also a co-presenter, feeds us the most amazing quesadillas.  (The homemade guacamole is also kick-ass!)

I'll be a writer if it means homemade fudge, though.  There must always be homemade fudge.  Chocolate may be the food of the gods, but it's also the food of writers.  At least this writer. 

Here's to magical stories and homemade confections!  And here's hoping there will be no crashing and burning.